Truckers Depression: Everything You Need To Know About This
Turns out that 14% of truck drivers suffer from depression. How to identify this life-threatening condition and how to cope with it if you`re a trucker – read it in this article.
WHY DOES DEPRESSION COME UP OFTEN AMONG TRUCKERS?
The transport industry is mostly male. Therefore, statistics show that depression among men in this job is more common than among women.
Truckers often don`t discuss this issue and don`t seek help, considering it`s a sign of weakness. This is a huge mistake that could cost your life.
CAUSES OF TRUCKER DEPRESSION
There are several known causes of depression for a truck driver.
- Too much time alone. Truckers spend a lot of time alone with themselves, they have a lot of time to think about all sorts of things in life.
- Truckers miss their families when they are away from home. Often, many drivers work to the max, eat poorly, deprive themselves of vitamins and healthy sleep.
- This can lead to anxiety, which in turn can lead to depression.
- Problems with the employer. For the trucking company and dispatcher, things may not go well. Conflicts, quarrels are of no use for anyone.
- Money problems. This factor can also greatly affect driver`s morale. Anxiety about family support can cause depression.
5 COMMON SIGNS OF MINOR DEPRESSION AMONG TRUCK DRIVERS
- lassitude, drowse
- not interested in things that you used to like
- attention problems
If you experience any of the above symptoms, even if you think they are minor, it`s recommended for you to seek professional help.
There is no shame in asking for advice on how best to deal with starting depression.
5 BEST PRACTICES TIPS FOR A PROFESSIONAL TRUCKER
1. Communicate with family members regularly. Fortunately, modern technologies allow not only hearing but also seeing them.
2. Take time to relax at the end of your day. Or during the day of driving, if the schedule permits. Someone likes washing a truck, someone – listening to music or reading a book.
3. Bring your pet on the truck if permitted by the company. Truckers can often be seen walking their dogs at truck stops. It’s nice to have a bouncy companion on the road with a wet nose, who won`t let you feel sad.
4. Find yourself a hobby. Do what you like!
5. Sleep at night is the best sleep. Try not to drive at night. A normal schedule is a guarantee of a good mood and the absence of stupid thoughts.
For professional truckers, both physical and mental health is important.
There are crisis advisory hotlines in the USA. Feel free to call and discuss your concerns with a qualified worker!