Indianapolis major interstate is closed for 18 months
INDOT reports that the road in downtown Indianapolis will be closed for a long time.
The North Split Interchange in Indianapolis will be closed from May 15 for 18 months due to bridge and road renovations. I-65 and I-70 between the North Split and Washington Street will be closed to all vehicles.
INDOT provided for truck drivers the following information:
- Will remain open at the Keystone interchange
- Will remain open to I-65 northbound
- Will remain open to either the Michigan or Ohio Street exits via collector/distributor
- Will be accessible from Washington Street entrance ramp
- Will be closed to I-70 westbound through traffic and to I-65 southbound
- Will be accessible from Pine Street entrance ramp. (There will be detours as the Michigan Street, New York Street and Vermont Street bridges are reconstructed, but the Pine Street entrance ramp onto I-70 eastbound will remain open.)
- From the airport, all exits remain open for eastbound traffic up to Washington Street
- The West, Illinois and Meridian Street interchanges (south side) can access I-65 southbound and I-65 northbound to Washington Street
- Will be closed to I-70 eastbound through traffic and to I-65 northbound
- Will be accessible from the North Illinois Street onramp
- Will remain open through the South Split up to the Washington Street exit
- Will be closed to I-65 northbound through traffic and to I-70 westbound
- Will remain open to I-70 eastbound (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the West Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound only (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the Delaware Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound only (except closed for 45 days in Fall 2021)
- Will be accessible from the Washington Street entrance ramp
It is also reported that beginning on or after May 17, Vermont Street between Davidson Street and Pine Street will be closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic, while bridges across Vermont Street will be demolished as part of the North Split project. Works on Vermont Street are expected to be completed on or after May 31st. During the closure, eastbound traffic will be directed to New York Street and westbound traffic will be directed to Michigan Street.