Navistar launches International truck with new diesel engine
Navistar has unveiled plans for an upgraded International LT series in collaboration with Traton Group.
In a press release, Navistar says the S13’s integrated powertrain has been under development for five years and is expected to provide “superior economy, ease of use and serviceability in the North American commercial vehicle market.”
The latest internal combustion engine will also be used.
The S13’s integrated powertrain is flawlessly engineered with the engine, transmission and aftertreatment system all designed and integrated at the same time, “ensuring maximum efficiency without sacrificing performance,” according to Navistar.
Compared to the first generation International A26 engine fitted with Eaton Endurant HD 12-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, the S13 integrated transmission is the lightest transmission on the market.
When compared to the updated International LT Series aero package, the integrated S13 offers up to a 15% increase in fuel efficiency. It also provides increased reliability and environmental friendliness, marking a leap forward on the road to carbon-neutral transport.
The S13 integrated transmission will be manufactured at Navistar’s power transmission manufacturing facility in Huntsville, Alabama.
Navistar touts its new International model as offering a host of security and performance upgrades. Manufacturers claim that efficiency has improved significantly thanks to the updated aerodynamic package:
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) and fuel fill closeouts allow air to flow smoothly over the chassis skirts.
- Steer wheel closeouts and a modified lower skirt trim improves underbody air flow by restricting air flow through the wheel opening.
- A new roof extender improves air flow between the tractor and trailer gap.
- The updated front-end design includes a new bumper and grille style that aligns with recent updates to other International truck models. A new premium 9-inch sleeper mattress and flip-up bunk help maximize cab space for over-the-road drivers when they’re not operating the vehicle.
- Advanced driver safety enhancements to braking and collision mitigation systems further improve driver safety and comfort. This includes electronic parking brake technology to automatically engage the vehicle and trailer parking brakes if the driver forgets to set them.