Pennsylvania limits truck routes during bad weather
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC) unveiled a number of restrictions for vehicles during the winter season.
On Friday, PennDOT made public a planned vehicle restrictions list due to severe weather across most of the state. Authorities urge drivers not to leave their homes once again.
Below is a schedule of travelling restrictions.
Starting on Sunday, Jan. 16 at 3:00 pm, Tier 2 vehicle restrictions are set for the following roads:
- All interstates south of Interstate 80, not including Interstate 80;
- PA Turnpike I-76 (Mainline) from the Ohio border to the New Jersey border, including all western extensions;
- PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476) from I-276 to I-80;
- The entire length of U.S. 22; and
- The entire length of Route 33.
Starting on Sunday, Jan. 16 at 7:00 pm, Tier 2 vehicle restrictions are set for the following roads:
- All interstates north of I-80, including I-80; and
- PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476) from I-80 to Clarks Summit.
Begging at 19:00 Sunday, Jan.16, Tier 3 vehicle restrictions are set for the following roads:
- I-70 east of I-79; and
Starting at 11:00 PM on Sunday, Jan. 16th, Tier 3 vehicle restrictions are set for the following roads:
- I-81 north of I-84;
- I-84; and
According to Tier 2 restrictions, on the above-mentioned roads are not allowed:
• Tracs with no trailers;
• Tracs tugging unloaded or lightly loaded covered trailers, open trailers or tanks;
• Tracs tugging loaded tandem trailers, unless chains or other approved alternative traction device is on board;
• Closed trucks that fit the CMV definition;
• Car traffic vehicles (cars, SUVs, pickups, etc.) with trailers;
• Recreation vehicles / motorhomes;
• School buses, commercial buses and coaches;
• Buses, commercial buses and intercity buses;
On roads with Tier 3 restrictions, all commercial vehicles are banned except loaded single trailers with chains or approved alternative traction devices.