Minnesota Highway 12 сlosed for 4 months: detour attached
Minnesota closed Highway 12 between Orono and Independence for 4 months due to road reconstruction. The Minnesota Department of Transportation offers detour schemes.
The 38-mile stretch of road is also known as the “Corridor of Death”. Permanent accidents prompted 12 Safety Coalition to improve safety on this part of the road.
Both directions of the road will open on September 17, 2021.
Vehicles are recommended to drive around County Road 6 and County Road 92.
- Add a roundabout at the intersection of Highway 12 and County Road 90.
- Reconfigure County Road 90 to connect the lanes north and south of Highway 12.
- Add access for pedestrians and bicyclists crossing Highway 12.
- Improve the intersection at Highway 12 and County Road 92 with a roundabout and bridge (scheduled for 2021 and 2022).
- Add a center concrete barrier on Highway 12 between County Road 6 in Orono and Baker Park Road in Maple Plain to prevent head-on collisions.
- Make the road wider and add a 15-foot wide concrete median.